What Are Not Prepositions?
As you have learned, the test for prepositions is
If you can’t figure out the part of speech for a word, and it can fit in the blank, then it’s probably a preposition.
We worked remotely at the beach.
We worked at that.
My parents were against my attending college out of state.
My parents were against that.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Wash your hands before that.
Ten minus six is four.
Ten minus that is four.
Everything is accounted for except the diamond ring.
Everything is accounted for except that.
There are several exceptions to the preposition test. We can group them:
Type of Preposition
It’s not that I can’t afford the bike,
I just don’t want to buy it.
everywhere, anywhere, here,
there, somewhere, nowhere
Everywhere that Mary went,
soon, often, always, today,
It is not often that we see a man
stand on his hands while waiting
for the bus.
any word that could follow
the word extremely
Even that answer was wrong.
Barton [extremely] slowly ate his
Name the part of speech for each word. Write X if a word is not a type you have learned yet. Do not try to identify it.
- Rinka was nowhere to be found during the demonstration.
- Wymera always cleans off Becka’s shoes before putting Becka in the baby carriage.
- A huge crowd quickly gathered on the hill to hear Jesus speak.
- Jesira has often talked about the trip she took to Brazil.
- Our Army unit will not be going to Rome tomorrow.
- The hamburger did not even come with mustard.
- Today, Jed, the math genius, will announce the college he will attend.
- Sintola, from Nazareth, could not be found anywhere.
- The proposal to build a dike across the bay has been met with great resistance.
- Regarding our schedule, the seniors always go to Disneyland one day in May.
Individual or Small Group Activity
Complete the exercise: Liechtenstein