Built on a rocky cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, Monaco is a tiny country known for luxury, fashion, culture, and sports. Part of the sun-soaked French Riviera, it has beautiful mountains as its backdrop and azure waters lapping at its edges.
There are 10,000 Monegasques (yes, that’s what they’re called). They make up a quarter of the population. On this tiny piece of land live more millionaires per square mile than anywhere else in the world.
Symbolizing the country’s glamorous lifestyle is the Monte Carlo Casino. Standing majestically atop a hill, it appeared in the James Bond film, Never Say Never Again and inspired Casino Royale. It only costs 10 euros to enter, plus you must be at least 18 years old and be properly dressed. But you better have lots of money to lose as you move among the table games and slot machines.
And if gambling isn’t for you, but you want an adrenaline rush, then watch as racecars zoom amid the narrow streets. The Monaco Grand Prix is the only Formula 1 auto race held on public roads. Its winding track and tight turns make it one of the world’s most difficult races.
Monaco Activity 1
1. Give the test for nouns.
2. Which one of the following is not a noun? Prove it using the test.
c. James Bond (treat as one word)
3. Give the two tests for verbs.
4. Which one of the following is not a verb? Prove it using the tests.
5. Which of the following is not a (lesser) verb?
b. to enter
c. make up
6. Fill in the blanks of the main determiners. (Skip the boxes with an X.)
7. Which one of the following is not a determiner?
8. Give the test for prepositions.
9. Which one of the following is not a preposition? Prove it.
10. Give the test for pronouns.
11. Which one of the following is not a pronoun? Prove it.
12. Name the part of speech for each word below as it was used in the essay.